Making A Dissertation Title: The Main Do's And Don'ts
Writing an appropriate dissertation title is as important as writing the content. One must make proper efforts in writing the title as it is the very first thing which people read in a write-up. There are certain do’s and don’ts in making a title. By following these simple do’s and don’ts you can write an interesting title.
- Do: write a title that describes and explains the core focus of your writing. Your title should be such that the reader should be able to get full idea about what your research is all about. It should tell the purpose, theories supported by your research, the variables tested, the design, methodology adopted, etc.
- Don’t: The topic should not be general.
- Do: The topic should be precise but not necessarily short. It should be concise and should explain in fewest words the nature of your research.
- Don’t: Do not be vague. Avoid making a complicated title with word combinations that are difficult to understand.
- Do: The title should present clear picture and should not give the reader an idea about one thing when the whole paper is about something else. Your title should be able to convey the research you have performed.
- Don’t: Avoid being inconsistent in the language used in the research content and the title . This is considered a good practise.
- Do: Short forms, abbreviations, etc. should be used in the main content where there is option to explain their full forms.
- Don’t: Acronyms, initials, abbreviations should not be used in the main title of as it can create confusion.
- Do: Cute and teasing titles can be great way to spark interest and can be used depending on the nature of the topic.
- Don’t: However, at times it a cute and teasing title can make it harder for the readers to understand what your research is about unless they read the abstract of the research. Moreover, if the readers are only going to be from academics, catchy and humorous titles are best to be avoided.
Finally, it can be said that the core focus of your write-up should be reflected by the title. Each component of the title should represent something or the other about your research as already mentioned. The title should directly relate to the topic, this will enable you to get information quickly for your topic. Also, if other scholars look for information on the same topic, they should also be able to find your dissertation easily.